3311. Do You Like to Read?


 
I can tell you about my own experience at learning vocabulary and grammar by reading a novel in English, my students’ and my target language.
You know, sometimes I read more quickly and without stopping to look up a new word in the dictionary. Then I read for pleasure. But other times I look up a word that may be blocking the meaning and my understanding the sequence of the plot.
I mean, I can’t tell you something exclusive I do when reading the novel. At different times I do different things, but the average result is positive, I’d say.
Sometimes the main point is enjoying reading the novel, some other times I focus more on grammar and vocab.
Something also nice I could tell you is that I also learn or acquire words inadvertently. I mean, I may be devouring pages – more or less – and I can say I’m acquiring words: I use them at other times when they come up to mind in an unaware way: I just can use them because they pop up to mind.
I guess reading fiction – also non-fiction – is okay for learning a language. It’s not the only thing you can carry out anyway: you should do other things: listening, speaking, writing. / Photo from: airportsporting com. Once again the picture is an illustration, but anyway it might show something from the plot from some interesting novel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo