1682. Harvesting the fruits of English by my students



When a student at home is reading a text from the course book, and he is concentrated in reading and understanding, and finding the gist, and re-reading, with a set of questions to answer after the reading, obviously we can say he’s thinking in English, something which he isn’t aware perhaps. 

The key point is to face up with that text. He has had a peek at the questions he’ll have to answer later. 

Some students ask me if some day they’ll think in English. 

Currently I’m teaching a group of demanding adults, who are so motivated to learn and acquire English. 

I tell them they will dream in English, as it happens to me often. If I’m dreaming that I’m teaching, certainly I’m doing so in English. My students have conversations with American volunteers here in marvelous Granada, so as to practice, in extra-class time: my advanced students are talking with those American youngsters in English, like the most natural thing in the world. 

When are you coming to Granada? It’s worth the visit. 

Oh, my classes are nearly all in English: I can say I teach in English and my students understand me – I try to combine simple stuff with more advanced-level for high-achievers. Sometimes I don’t achieve what I would like: all the students understanding. 

A nice activity is describing pictures: they love it. / Photo from: news xinhuanet com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2064. Connecting people from different countries

2065. Teaching grammar with meaningful examples