909. Each one's uniqueness



One day teacher of English B said to teacher of English A, “I cannot learn and know a student of mine just by means of one or a few written exams. Actually I will learn a lot from him or her, but it isn’t enough. Assessment is a process which lasts all the evaluation or assessing period, say one term or one month and a half.

I have to observe my students to get to know how they are and feel in class. I need more grades from him or her to get an idea of the English they know and they can use. Assessment is an everyday thing I cannot recoil. It does matter what they say, what they do, what they don’t.

Okay, imagine I assigned them to write a composition about that point they’re interested in so much lately. Look, that girl over there is not stopping writing. That boy at the corner is just tangling with the threads of his worn out sweater. Ask yourself: what is each one doing? And observe them. This girl looks anxious, why? No clue. This boy had problems with vocab: you know, he wants to say many things but lacks the words – I’m approaching his desk to ask him if he needs any word, and I’ll suggest to use the dictionary.

At the end of the assessment period hopefully I’ll know each and every one of them, and also hopefully I’ll be able to assign them grades that fit their work and their uniqueness. / Photo from: throughmyspecs com. bus-stop     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3657. How to Develop a Lesson that Could Be Efficient

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2788. A Smiling Teacher

2540. Why Do You Shout So Much?

2212. Saint Joseph, father of the Holy Family