183. Teaching when they are beginners



I copied and pasted a comment I posted on the website of Teaching English British Council - BBC


Fernando M Díez...


Teaching beginners


Submitted on 18 October, 2009 - 16:55


Hello, Martina Kliem, Monicabb Sian Gourlay, Katie-Leck,

I have read your comments. They hit on so a frequent problem... or challenge. Thank you.

I'll briefly tell about my experience.

I also teach in Spain. I'm Spanish myself. Although my students can be beginners, I "only" understand and speak English. They do know it. They are also inside the dough. English, all the class-period round.

My students are false-beginners.

First premise: it's sound for them to hear stuff in English, so as to touch the texture of the language.

Also: I add loads of gesturing, face expressions, acting out, smiling, speed-changing, intonation. You, teacher, must enjoy classes.

(Don't get me wrong. I'm not showing off, by boasting big).

Currently, a significant part of the class-period is games. So, the process: presentation by me, examples, repeating, smiling, trying get empathy with each kid, leaning on veteran students to explain to the lost classmate about the game - with a load of enthusiasm by his or her veteran classmate, etc.

With the passing days, more and more they grasp the stuff I tell them.

I pretend trying to understand their broken and inaccurate English, very attentively, making faces myself.

I could tell you further, but just get this picture.

I have learned a lot from an expert at teaching languages, Emeritus professor H. D. Brown, San Francisco State University. Plus colleagues of ours, maybe from you all, on this website.

I wish you the best to you all.

Fernando Diez Gallego

Granada, Spain

10/18/09

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3658. Language Facts or Communication in Class?

2064. Connecting people from different countries

758. Irregular verbs now and then

2551. Agradecimiento a TeacherLingo

2445. We Had Nice Teachers To Remember!