31. I'm done with these pupils!

Don't scold anyone. 
Yes, I think I see what you mean.
Troubles with disruptive students.
When I started my career, I was assigned 2º Primaria plus another group. In 2º, aged 7 - 8, there were some 30 pupils. With Pepe Asensio, their tutor, smoothness and neatness and tranquility permeated the group; no shouting by him, low-voice talking, no problems at all, each student did the right thing, or he was gently headed to personal responsibility...
OK, now, the time arrived to swift subject for me in charge.
Pepe just upped and went away, and... a battle broke out among them, pencilcases flying from one side to the rear row, mess, crazy mess... and me shouting out to calm them down; not getting peace and order, hookieng, and what's more, I had to teach them English!
Think that I had not long before finished my graduation of Philology of English, with its linguistics, phonetics and phonology, history of English from the Angles and Saxons: where are you going with that stuff, bro?
Well, I think, let's see, regarding your problem, say, huhm... First: Don't quarrel with that 15-year adolescent in the class. I'd say.
Some students I teach at Alayos tell me their, his teacher at his his institute is always shouting, so unpleasant, Santi tells me his teacher has "manía" against him; no way of escaping from that "manía". Santi replies to her in public: he has done homework, I always do it!, but you, seño, don't reckon my struggle to better behave; why don't you scold Miguel, and... so and so. This failure is among some teachers, they don't get the right point. I don't like at all saying awefuls about my colleagues. I'm not necessarily better.
Something from my heart: I'm sure all good and advancing comes from God, plus our effort.
Don't struggle - this is something I have also had to learn, with the passing years.
Once, Manolo, a colleague of mine, who was a vice-principal at a summer-course for students with a chain of academic fails - that program, or course, and its conducting was somehow similar, say, to a quasi-paramilitar camp - well, this is a hiperbole, he told me that Paco, a real rascal, opened his personal troubles - familiar, academic, cracking, sexual matters- and told these problems to Manolo, at an individual tutorial, where the teacher had the attitude of listening, listening, prudently and so tactfully, helping to spit out when Paco (or Pedro, or Francisco) showed a crevice wishing some advice, some light for his life.
Nobody else had ever listened to him that way.
As a result: Manolo told me that student had realized he had to better and rearrange his life.
He had let the tutor see there was something in the inner part of his that hurted him along, and he had told him things nobody else he had ever told.
Paco saw the light at the end of the tunnel: all could get solution, with personal effort and God's grace - thru the sacrament of penance, of joy, and with the eucharist.
Don't quarrel in the classroom - try and set order, calmly - you are the authority, a moral one, firstly.
Take him apart.
When in a group, he'll try to show he is superior to the teacher.
Give him trust. listen, listen, believe what he tells you, at that somehow cozy conversation.
I have been taught that way to be a teacher, plus experience and step-by-step bettering.
photograph from thecosmospeople.cl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3656. Creating Genuine Communication in Class

819. As fresh as singing in the rain

3657. How to Develop a Lesson that Could Be Efficient

2533. Concerned Teachers: Bravo!

2212. Saint Joseph, father of the Holy Family